Mon, 19 Apr 2021

World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty withdraws from Qatar Open

Field Level Media
25 Feb 2021, 07:19 GMT+10

World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty has withdrawn from next week's Qatar Open, tournament organizers announced Wednesday.

Barty has been battling a thigh injury in recent weeks.

"Unfortunately I have withdrawn from the Qatar Total Open with a left leg injury," Barty said in a statement released through the tournament. "I wish the tournament a safe and successful event and hope to play there next year.

"Thank you to the event organizers and the WTA for all the work you are doing, I look forward to competing again in Miami in a few weeks time."

Barty, 24, withdrew hours after being upset by American Danielle Collins in the second round of the Adelaide International in Australia. Collins overcame deficits in both sets to record a 6-3, 6-4 victory.

Barty is the second star in two days to withdraw from the Qatar Open. World No. 3 Simona Halep of Romania withdrew Tuesday.

Previously, No. 4 Sofia Kenin of the United States and No. 9 Bianca Andreescu of Canada withdrew from the event. Kenin, 22, said she underwent surgery to have her appendix removed on Feb. 15 and hasn't announced a timetable for her return.

The 20-year-old Andreescu, who pulled out of the Adelaide event with a leg injury, also will miss the following week's tournament in Dubai. She is targeting to return for the Miami Open, slated to begin March 23.

World No. 2 Naomi Osaka of Japan, who won the Australian Open last week, did not enter the tournament.

--Field Level Media

More Australia News

Access More

Sign up for Australian News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!