TEHRAN, Iran - Merely days after receiving a warning from authorities in Washington, against undertaking planned launches, Iran has announced that it had failed in its bid to put a satellite into orbit.
On Tuesday, authorities in Iran announced that its satellite launch mission had failed since the rocket carrying it did not reach escape velocity.
A statement released on Iran's Telecoms Ministry website noted that a satellite named Payam was mounted with four cameras on Tuesday.
It noted that the satellite was intended to be used for imaging and communications purposes and orbit at an altitude of 500 km (310 miles).
After confirming that the launch had failed, Iran's Telecoms Minister Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi said that a second launch would go ahead.
Azari-Jahromi said that the satellite failed at the third stage because the rocket "did not reach adequate speed."
He wrote on Twitter, "I would have liked to make everybody happy with good news but sometimes life doesnt go forward the way we anticipate."
He also confirmed that another satellite named Doosti was waiting to be launched.
Azari-Jahromi said, "We should not come up short or stop. It's exactly in these circumstances that we Iranians are different than other people in spirit and bravery."
Earlier this month, authorities in Washington had issued a warning to Iran, urging it against undertaking three planned launches.
U.S. officials said that such launches would require the use of long-range ballistic missile technology, which would be in violation of the UN Security Council resolution that enshrined Iran's 2015 nuclear deal.
Further, the U.S. has also expressed concerns that the technology could be used by Iran to launch warheads.
However, Iran has maintained that its space program and its space vehicle launches and missile tests are not violations and will continue.